I have been trying to cut sugar out of my diet, emphasis on the “trying” part. I had a craving for something sweet tonight, so I called my mom and got her recipe for whoopi pies. I don’t think my mom even knows where this recipe came from. It is written on an old card tucked away in her recipe box. They are delicious and oh so fattening. Crisco is just about the main ingredient.
Amish Whoopi Pies
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup crisco
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup cocoa
1 cup water
1 cup sour milk (2 Tbsp. vinegar and enough milk to make 1 cup)
Preheat oven to 375. Sift together dry ingredients and set aside. Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in vanilla and eggs until well blended. Add dry ingredients, water and sour milk alternately until well mixed. Drop by rounded Tbsp. onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
Filling:
2 beaten egg whites
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 cups crisco
Beat egg whites, vanilla and sugar until combined. Add crisco and beat well. Assemble cookies sandwich style. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for commenting!