Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Happy Birthday Alex

Alex turned 14 this past weekend. 
We celebrated with a small party in our church's fellowship room.

Nick had been planning to get Alex a shotgun for quite a while. He spent the last few weeks searching for one in secret. He wanted it to be a surprise. He knew Alex's shotgun preferences, so he wanted to make sure to find something that would fit the bill. 
Just a few days before Alex's birthday, he found the perfect gun.


{Alex trying out the dog mouth straws}


Alex's party guests included Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles and a few friends from church.


We played "Alex trivia" before eating. 
I asked questions such as What is Alex's favorite...food, color, animal, tv show, etc?
There were even bonus questions. 
One of the bonus questions I was sure most everyone would miss. 
What was unique about Alex when he was born?
What is it called?
and
How many children are born with this condition?
Do you know?
(answer at the bottom)


For the past few years Alex has requested ice cream cake for his birthday. This year was no different. 









Time to open gifts.


What could this be?
I didn't get a close up pictures, but it is wrapped in Duck Dynasty wrapping paper.







 Alex looking over his new shotgun. 
A Westernfield 12 gauge shotgun. 

 We had him open that gift first since a lot of the guests were already in on the secret and bought him gifts to go with his new gun. 


 His friend Luke gave him clay targets.

 Uncle Billy and Aunt Karen gave him ammo.

After the dinner, we came back to our house and let him try out his shotgun. 



And of course, Daddy wanted to try it too. 

The answer to the trivia question is this...
Alex was born with an extra finger on each hand. Attached with just a small piece of skin was an extra pinky. The fingers were removed when he was just a couple days old. He now has only tiny scars on the side of each of his hands.
This condition is called Polydactyly. It occurs in approximately 1 out of every 1,300 children.
(I asked Alex's permission before making up the trivia questions. I did not want to ask anything that might embarrass him. I thought maybe he wouldn't want me to mention the extra fingers, but he did not care at all)

Alex sure has come a long way since his BB Gun days.


Happy Birthday Alex!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for commenting!