Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Time

 A question was posed to me...."What little moments, what small gestures, what soft wisps of memories whisper across your heart and speak love, comfort, adoration, being cherished? “
Well, here goes……

“Time is a companion who reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again .”


   How many times do we put things off until tomorrow? I’ll be the first to admit that I am a procrastinator, always have been, probably always will be. But I am slowly learning that tomorrow will not always be there. We need to live every day to it’s fullest, cherish every moment and never, ever let your children go to bed without a hug and a kiss.
   My children have never had that special blankie, stuffed toy or other personal attachment also known as the “lovey”. When Alex and Niyah were small I was devastated that they didn’t want one. I bought every single disgustingly cute stuffed thing I laid my eyes on. Then one night something dawned on me. Nick was putting the kids to bed while I took a much needed break. All of a sudden I heard, “I want Mommy”, accompanied by little sobs. I am their “lovey”, I am what they want beside them, to comfort them. Once again, my children have taught me a lesson. True comfort and happiness cannot be found in material possessions, it is found in people and relationships.
    Comfort that I found as a child in so many ways. In Mom and Grandma baking homemade bread every Saturday, smelling the loaves as they baked in the oven, and always trying to steal that little piece of dough as it was rising in the pan. 
     Happiness found in the way my dad communicates his love by jokes. When he tells me that I’m “uglier than a dog’s breath smells”, it’s his way of saying “I love you”. The way he coached my basketball team out of love for me and our mutual love of the game. Even though he knew had to get up at 4 in the morning to milk cows, he never missed a late night basketball game.
     My comfort and joy comes from knowing that I married “Mr. Right”. Passing through time as child hood playmates, to close friends, then onto high school sweet-hearts, and now working on our eight year anniversary. My guy, who will sit through a chick flick with me and grab the tissues off my lap because he’s tearing up also.
And above all, my comfort comes from my Saviour.  He is the Only one who can provide true happiness. Even though people in this world may let us down and desert us, even our closest loved ones, He will never forsake us or leave our side. I hope that He is your greatest source of comfort also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for commenting!