Thursday, September 11, 2014

Remembering 9/11


Thinking of and praying today for those that lost their lives 
on that horrible day 13 years ago and the friends and family members they left behind. 
{Fire truck stationed outside our town fire hall today in memory of 9/11}

In 2011 we took the kids to NYC for Christmas. One of our stops was the newly opened 9/11 memorial. 
Nick and I had viewed a bit of the construction earlier in the summer. 




My thoughts upon taking the children(then ages 10, 8 and 4) to see the memorial fountains...
"Alex knows what happened and the significance of the memorial and is the most aware. He asks questions and wants answers. Then he ponders. 

Niyah knows that there used to be 2 towers here. She saw them in Home Alone 2. She knows that they were hit by airplanes and fell. She knows that a lot of people died and it was sad. I think that's all she needs to know for right now. 

Nater thinks water is cool. I think that's all he needs to know...for now."

We have added bits and pieces since, still relying on our parental instincts as to how much information we feel their tender hearts can handle. 



{Exhibits at the 9/11 Memorial Preview} 

 {Firetruck in lower Manhattan, 2011}


{Rebuilding}


I love visiting ground zero and yet I hate it all at the same time. 
I love the remembrance and honor being shown to the heroes of 9/11. 
I love that there is a place to pay respects, and that there is  
 a lasting tribute for people whose bodies may not "rest" elsewhere. 


I hate visiting because of why it's there. 
Death, terrorism, violence, destruction, sadness.  

I pray that there were more saved, than unsaved. 
Another reminder to be a witness to all I come in contact with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for commenting!