Monday, January 16, 2012

Home School Field Trip...Hydroponics Plant

We toured our local landfill today....
I love telling people that! haha! Actually, we toured the recycling center portion of our landfill along with the landfill's hydroponic greenhouse with our 4-H club today. 

 The Northern Tier Solid Waste Authority has been using the methane gas produced by the landfill to operate a reciprocating engine to turn a generator for over 7 years.  Talk about resourcefulness! NTSWA developed Northern Tier Greens, a facility that commercially grows lettuce type crops for regional sales.


I used this picture from the NTSWA's website to explain it a little better to Nater,since it was hard for him to understand the concept. 
 Trash produces yucky gas. 
Yucky gas can be turned into fuel.
Fuel can be used for electricity, heat, hot water etc. 


The greenhouse is beautiful! 

If it were being grown in the ground, you would need 300 acres to successfully harvest this much lettuce. 

They had one of the "ponds" empty today for cleaning. You can see how shallow they are. I am guessing about 2 feet deep. 
 It's like a patchwork quilt made up of different types of lettuce. 
Got lettuce???

This lettuce being grown completely free of pesticides and herbicides. That give them an A+ in my book!

Locally grown produce in January. Well done NTSWA! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice picture use to explain the NTSWA's website to explain website better.Thankyou sharing the information..

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for commenting!