Thursday, January 26, 2012

Melted Crayon Art

Today for art class we did a neat project with crayons.
I purchased some 16"X20" Cotton artist canvases and a boatload of crayons. :)
I let the kids arrange the crayons how they wanted them on the canvas, then I hot glued them into place. For next time, I think we will get crazy with the designs instead of just placing them in a row.

Once they were all glued into place... I became obsessed with taking crayon pictures. 


Then, I let the kids use a hair dryer, set on high, to melt the crayons. 


TIP: Keep the hair dryer in one place until you get the desired effect with a section of crayons. If you move the hair dryer around too much or too fast the wax splatters. Nater decided he liked that effect and kept doing it anyway. 
 The wax dries VERY quickly and you are left with a beautiful work of art!
Another TIP: Crayola crayons seem to work the best for this project. I tried a couple other brands and they just didn't seem to melt as well. 
 I wanted to put the kids names on their artwork, so I took the hair dryer and heated the canvas for a few seconds, then used a crayon to write a letter of their name. The heated canvas melted the crayon and left a neat look for each letter. You will need to re-heat the canvas for each letter. 
I let the kids do the majority of the work on these. I am going to be making one myself later on for a birthday party this weekend! I am anxious to see what I can come up with!