Sunday, September 29, 2013

Remembering Grandma

I am hoping to honor Grandma's memory by speaking today at her funeral. I woke up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I grabbed a pen and paper and the words just kept coming. Praying I can make it through without too much sobbing, 



I have had the honor and privilege of living next door to Grandma for just about my entire life. My fond memories of Grandma began as a small child. From spending Sunday afternoons to the occasional overnight and sometimes a whole weekend when Dad and Mom would go away. I remember one of those weekends even included a case of chicken pox and lots of oatmeal bathes.
 As a child I loved “bread day”.  Grandma would mix up lots of bread dough and bring some next door to our house. I remember walking through the kitchen every 5 minutes, sneaking pieces of the rising dough and then attempting to rearrange the rest to make it look untouched. I think Mom and Grandma caught on quickly.
 As a teen, I fondly remember Grandma’s love and support for my hobbies. She came to every home basketball game that she was able to. Between her and Aunt Mary, I was always guaranteed a slice of pizza for a job well done. When I got my first summer job at a local ice cream shop, she would visit often. Even after getting married and having children, I lived only a few miles from Grandma. When Mom and Dad would go on vacation (while Gram was still living on her own), we would come stay the night with her. Grandma liked having someone close by when it got dark. Grandma and I would get up early to make breakfast for everyone. Breakfast was fun. Gram and I liked our eggs cooked the same way and Grandma and Nick both thought that bacon should have its own food group.
 Grandma’s bond with my children started when they were very young also. Alex and Niyah would stay with Grandma during all my doctor’s appointments when I was expecting Nater. They would watch cartoons, eat apples, and drink sippy cups filled chocolate milk. Once Nater came along and eventually turned one, the first thing on Grandma’s “to do” list was to buy another sippy cup for her cupboard so Nater could enjoy a sippy cup of chocolate milk also. Grandma loved her chocolate milk. When we visited her in the hospital just a few days before she passed, the first thing I noticed as I walked into her room was the little cartons of chocolate milk by her bed.
 When Grandma’s health started failing, we moved next door again. And, for a couple months this summer, we had the honor of having Grandma living with us. The kids loved having Grandma in our home. Every time Grandma called out, it was a race to see who could get there first to help. They introduced Grandma to “America’s Funniest Home Videos” and Grandma introduced them to “Andy Griffith”. I loved listening to them all chuckle and laugh while watching those shows together. Grandma had quite a sense of humor. She loved playing jokes with the kids. We show a lot of love through humor in our family.
 They treasured caring for their precious Grandma. I would check on Grandma in the middle of the night and would occasionally find one of them sleeping by Grandma’s feet. Once in a while we would take Grandma out for ice cream. She would usually get a small vanilla cone. Sometimes when she was feeling adventurous, she would get a banana split and see if she could eat the whole thing.
 I was hoping that Grandma would live to see 100. She and I even talked a little bit this summer about the huge birthday bash we would have when she made it to 100, it was always when, not if.

But I guess it wasn't meant to be. God decided it was time for Grandma to come live with him. I am sure the parties in Heaven are far grander than anything I could ever even dream of planning here on earth. I know Grandma is in Heaven. She was a strong Christian. The way she lived her life was evidence of that. I know that if she were standing here today, she would want to make sure that all of you, her family and friends have that assurance also. Mom said that when Grandma passed, she went so peacefully. Grandma knew that this world would not be her home forever. Her true home is Heaven. Having Jesus in my heart, I know that Heaven is my true home also. I am now a little homesick for heaven…and Grandma. But I know that I will see her again someday. So for now, I am not going to say good-bye, I am just going to say, “See you later Gram.”