"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future that only HE can see. " ~Corrie Ten Boom
Imagine with me for a moment. Imagine having all your worldly possessions fit in a backpack. Imagine going for months without a shower or a hot meal. Imagine sleeping on the ground clutching everything you hold dear for fear it will be stolen.
So many things that we take for granted every day,
someone else is hoping, wishing and praying desperately for.
I find it peculiar how we (myself included) can see a piece of furniture or other object sitting on the side of the road or in a thrift store and immediately we ponder the possibilities and potential... a little sanding, a can of paint or some new fabric. What was once someone's junk is now valuable. But what about when we see a homeless person? I live in an area where homelessness is still an issue albeit a less visible one. Feel free to replace the word 'homeless' with 'less fortunate'.
We pass them by, we judge their situation, we categorize them as a burden on society, or we figure we are better off by not acknowledging their existence at all.
Enter the phrase "Don't Walk By". Take a minute or two, start a conversation, give a care package, show them you care. you may just be the first person they have encountered in years to show genuine concern for them and their needs.
This weekend I met lots of "needy" people. Not just the homeless.
I met people that needed a place to stay.
I met a person that had a place to stay, but needed a hot meal.
I met a man that had access to the above, but just needed a friendly conversation and a smile from someone who cares.
We arrived at Calvary Baptist Church around 2:00pm.
After our training, and before people started arriving, we sang "Amazing Grace".
'Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me.'
Grace...a gesture extended by God to everyone! Not just me. Not just the homeless. EVERYONE.
Grace...getting something that we don't deserve. I don't deserve God's grace, but I am SO thankful He gives it anyway.
And the opportunity to extend that grace to someone else that really needs it...priceless!
Before the street teams went out, we all had some soup together.
Once the street teams left, we began setting up tables and chairs and getting everything ready and welcoming.
My task for the duration of the event was hospitality... making people feel at home.
I talked with the people, served them a meal, and asked how we could help them. If they needed a place to stay, we led them to a person that could arrange that for the evening. If they needed medical care, we took them to an area of the room to see a doctor. If they just needed a warm conversation and prayer, I talked and prayed with them.
If anyone needed clothes, there was a clothing room with socks, gloves and coats. Talking with a man that desperately needed a backpack, my heart broke when I had to tell him that there were none available. He had his belongings in plastic bags. It made me cry to think of the 5 backpacks I have in my closet collecting dust.
I saw the power of prayer Saturday night and my need for prayer to become a more instinctive part of my life. When a confrontation between a homeless man and another individual during the event became hostile, a group of people (including a homeless person) at a nearby table IMMEDIATELY joined hands and began praying for peace and the man involved. When my first instinct was to retreat to a corner and hide, they prayed without ceasing until the crisis was over. I want my reaction to any situation I can't control to be immediately surrendered to the One who CAN control every circumstance.
My calendar is marked for 2015. I have gained a bit of experience and insight. I have learned of some needs that I can maybe help with for next year, X-Large coats for one (they ran out ). I plan to collect gently used, X-Large winter coats to take back with me next time.
I also hope to inspire others to get involved. No one can do it or should do it alone.
"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."
~Mother Teresa
There were many other "moments" of our trip. Funny moments, annoying bus related moments, general NYC moments.
But the moments I shared above are the ones I want to remember.





No comments:
Post a Comment
I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for commenting!