Sunday, December 25, 2011

New York City: Part 3...Central Park

The kids loved Central Park. Wanna know what they loved about Central Park....the squirrels...and the fact that we saw a cat on a leash.

 This squirrel was actually playing with Niyah. She would walk towards him and he would playfully run away and then he would chase her until she turned around. 
If a squirrel did that around here, we would cry, "Rabies!"
but in NYC...this is normal. 



In the North West corner of Central Park there is a statue of Frederick Douglas.
Mr. Douglas was an eloquent spokesperson for abolition (the end of slavery) and equality. He persevered through an early life of slavery to become a celebrated speaker and writer.
He founded newspapers, including the North Star in 1847. The masthead of the North Star featured this motto which is engraved in the sidewalk,
"Right is of no sex,
 truth is of no color, 
God is the Father of us all 
and we are all brethren." 


We really enjoyed our walk through Central Park. 


There were playgrounds scattered all throughout the park. 




After I took this picture of Alex on the rocks, I noticed the flag was at half mast.
I noticed through out the rest of the day that many other flags in the city were also at half mast. I never did figure out why. 

More Squirrels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for commenting!