Friday, December 30, 2011

New York City: Part 6... 9/11 Memorial

Nick and I visited the area surrounding Ground Zero in August, but seeing the fountains and memorial was like something out of a dream. It was surreal to be walking on a spot where such loss of life occurred. 
As we made our way out of the subway, this was our first view of the new Freedom Tower.


Overlooking the line of people waiting to go into the Memorial.

The kids loved the fountains, although I am not certain how much of the symbolism they understand. 
Alex knows what happened and the significance of the memorial and is the most aware. He asks questions and wants answers. Then he ponders. 

Niyah knows that there used to be 2 towers here. She saw them in Home Alone 2. She knows that they were hit by airplanes and fell. She knows that a lot of people died and it was sad. I think that's all she needs to know for right now. 

Nater thinks water is cool. I think that's all he needs to know...for now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for commenting!