Every year we seem to have someone that just "hangs around" after placing their coins in the kettle. Some seem joyful and just want to talk. Others seem lonely and looking for an excuse not to have to go home.
This year there was Ed.
Ed put his change in the kettle, walked away and then came back. He told us he knew there was a reason he met us this evening. That it was fate. If I wanted to lump Ed in with a group of people, one might say that he was "not all there". He made me nervous and I kept the kids close. He stayed for about an hour, letting us know his thoughts on the economy, the war, our decision to home school, his view of Christianity, and his desire to start his own campaign to end world hunger. He told us of his time in jail and how he believes in God, but thinks that most Christians are hypocrites. After many failed attempts to interject my own thoughts on faith and God, I gave up and just listened, nodding or shaking my head according to his statement. I don't think I have ever been happier to see someone leave.
I kept thinking about how this man would not let me get a word in. I couldn't defend my decision to home school or the fact that not all Christians are hypocrites because he wouldn't let me. If I did get a word in, I could tell he wasn't listening.
I thought to myself, Should I have tried harder to witness to this man?
Did I let my first impressions of him interfere with my ability to show this man Jesus?
Why was this man more passionate about ending hunger than I was about what is supposed to be my passion...Jesus?
Should I be doing more? How can I do more?
How can I be better prepared for the next time I meet an Ed?
I am still pondering the answers to these questions, but I am thankful that tonight at the kettle,Ed made me stop and think about my Faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for commenting!